Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Sea Urchin Dreams

I was thinking about dreams today. Not the kind that happen when you sleep but the kind that you have for the future. Mine are not very clear at the moment at all, but I am trying to compartmentalize and take it a few months at a time.

Some people however, have very clear dreams. I asked a co-worker of mine what his was and whether he has fulfilled it and he answered this – (translated roughly from Japanese) “I wish to drink Uni (sea urchin) from a large parfait glass with a straw”. At first I thought that my Japanese was failing me and that I had misunderstood but I confirmed it shortly after. Then I assumed he was joking and explained again what I meant by dream but he replied that he was serious. He had never really wanted to travel. He did not crave lots of money or fame. He loves his family and kids. But when he thinks of his future and his ultimate happiness, well it consists of sucking down on raw sea creatures from a dessert glass.

Life and our experiences of it are all so relative. I envy my co-worker. I wish I had such a clear dream. And I also wish I had dreams that could be fulfilled by a trip to the supermarket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home